Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My brothers and sisters

I recently returned from a trip to Kenya.  I was part of a group of eleven delegates from throughout the St. Cloud Diocese traveling to our partner diocese of Homa Bay in western Kenya.  As was my first journey there in 2006, it was beautiful.  The colors, the landscape, the music.  But most of all - the people.  Truly beautiful! 

It is difficult to find the words, nor do I think that any sort of blog posting could accurately reflect all that I continue to learn and feel through my involvement with our partners in Homa Bay, on this journey let alone over the years.  So I once again am going to borrow words from someone else.  Below is a reflection I love from the Maryknoll Book of Inspiration, originally by Anthony de Mello.  For quite some time I've found this reflection deeply lovely and true; it is why I do the ministry I do and what I strive to help others towards on a daily basis in my work and faith.  But it sits in a place even deeper now, even more lovely to me and far more true, at this time following my weeks in Kenya and the people - the brothers and sisters - I was blessed to be with there.  



How we see

A guru asked his disciples how they could tell when the night had ended and the day begun.

One said, "When you see an animal in the distance and can tell whether it is a cow or a horse."

"No," said the guru.

"When you look at a tree in the distance and can tell if it is a neem tree or a mango tree."

"Wrong again," said the guru.

"Well, then, what is it?" asked his disciples.

"When you look into the face of any man and recognize your brother in him; when you look into the face of any woman and recognize in her your sister.  If you cannot do this, no matter what time it is by the sun, it is still night."

(Anthony de Mello, from Anthony de Mello: Selected Writings, edited by William Dych, S.J.) 



It gets dark in Kenya (really dark), but it is never "night."  The people know how to truly see Christ, see their brothers and sisters, in those they meet.  Although I have been trying to avoid the "photo album" posts, in this case I cannot resist sharing more photos than you care to actually look at.  Because to me, they're more than just photos - they're day!  Here are some of the snapshots of my brothers and sisters I was blessed to walk with in Homa Bay: 

 
 
 
  

 
 
 
  
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 


To these, the many more captured by my eye's lens rather than camera lens, and to the billions more all over the world yet to be met but who have still captured a piece of my heart simply by being my brothers and sisters in our creation by the same loving, creative and diverse GOD - I thank you!  Thank you for seeing me as your sister!  

I pray I can return and pay-forward the favor.  And thank you GOD for giving me such an amazing family!  


"In mercy and in love, unite all God's children wherever they may be"





No comments:

More Favorites