Friday, December 7, 2012

Second week of Advent



 “We should live our lives as though Christ was coming this afternoon.” 
~ Jimmy Carter ~
We are now on the dawn of the second week of Advent.  Time is flying by, and it feels like Christmas will be here tomorrow.  In the craziness of time's fleeting, I have found my week nearly consumed with preparation - preparing suitcases for an upcoming trip, preparing lists of the kids' needs for their sitter, preparing the dog and chickens for the oncoming cold, preparing the house for the holiday that will be upon us within a blink after our return, preparing Christmas cards and gifts and cookies, preparing, preparing, preparing.  Oh my!  I can't help but laugh at myself in my hustle and bustle of preparations when I think about how very far they seem from the "preparing" that this Advent season asks of us.  

I like cleaning; well, sometimes I like cleaning, but I always like having things cleaned...maybe a little too much.  While I often defend my overly-tidy tendencies throughout the year, I know that this is one time of year where I should not allow so much time and energy and concern to be placed into having a nice space - I'm supposed to be focused on Christ's coming instead, right?  But at the same time, I find some comfort in simply being my cleaner-of-a-self when I think about Joseph.  I love Joseph; I always have felt a special admiration for him.  And at this time of year, though my new role as mother has me connecting with Mary in ways I never imagined I would, I also find myself connecting in an extra special way with Joseph - Joseph the preparer.  

After the incredibly long journey to Bethlehem, the anxiety of the rapidly-approaching birth of not only their child, but a child that has been declared the Son of GOD and savior of the world, and the disappointment and frustrations of being refused adequate shelter for this pivotal moment in their lives, I find it hard to believe that Joseph finally accepted their room in the stable only to sit back and wait for Mary to give birth.  On the contrary, I envision Joseph getting busy quick!  He had to clear out a place for Mary to lay in her labor, move aside the animals and their less-sanitary deposits, get the manger clean and ready for the baby's bed, etc.  There were preparations to do to welcome the child and make a nice space for him to stay.  Just like that first of Advents, I think this season is about preparing a nice space.    

I have heard of numerous families who celebrate a beautiful Advent tradition.  When the nativity scene is put out at the beginning of Advent, all except the Christ Child are displayed.  Jesus' bed remains empty in waiting.  In waiting, and in preparing.  The family is then encouraged to do nice things for one another and for others.  At the end of each day, those who did a kind thing for someone put a piece of straw or Kleenex or other form of bedding into the nativity's manger.  The goal is that by Christmas a beautiful place would have been prepared for Jesus to come to - a place not only in that displayed manger, but through the kind deeds a nicer space in our hearts and our world as well. 

This has been my challenge to myself this week - to prepare, as Joseph did, a nice space in our home where Jesus will feel safe and comfortable entering.  This sometimes means suitcases, gift wrapping, baking and clean floors.  But it also means a gentler tone with my determined one year old, a kind word or spontaneous kiss for my tired husband, an extra 15 minutes with my hungry-to-learn son, less complaining, more smiles, less pressure for productivity, more presence for prayer, less judging, more reaching out to strangers, those little things that make a big difference.  And although my family has not (yet) adopted the tradition of earning bedding for our nativity scene, I am hopeful that my kinder actions this week will spread throughout Advent, and will create a very nice space this Christmas - in my home, in my heart, in my family, in my community, in the manger of our world that we invite Christ into.  LORD Jesus, may you find this place to your liking!  


“A voice of one crying out in the desert:
"Prepare the way of the Lord,
make straight his paths.
Every valley shall be filled
and every mountain and hill shall be made low.
The winding roads shall be made straight,
and the rough ways made smooth,
and all flesh shall see the salvation of God."
 A beautiful second week of Preparing everyone!

No comments:

More Favorites