Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day

This upcoming Friday is an important day for me. October 15th is National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day.


As the mother of an angel in heaven, as well as a mother who still worries every day about her angel on earth's well-being and how long I'll get to keep him, this is a day very close to my heart! Personally, when I experienced my miscarriage, I felt completely alone, despite the fact that, unfortunately, about 25% of pregnancies, end in miscarriage. I also had a very bad experience with my hospital's bereavement department and their inability to respond when I reached out to them for help. I felt like because my baby wasn't born, I was expected to act like she'd never existed, and the world didn't acknowledge her existence or my loss. I never got to give her a funeral, I have no pictures of her, and I was left completely broken (and in so many ways, still am)! And I know I'm not the only one suffering from this, and even more difficult experiences of loss. My experience has helped me see that awareness of pregnancy and infant loss is greatly needed, if for no other reason than to help those families experiencing it know they're not alone, as well as to help others realize the great need for support and resources! The first step is simply REMEMBERING those beautiful little ones who have gone before us!


The following is a video done in memory of many of the beautiful children lost. (Warning: It's difficult; I myself haven't even been able to make it all the way through, although I was able to see my little girl memorialized near the end of part 1!) May these children rest in joy, and may their families find peace!


I invite you to help recognize this day, and those millions of families out there suffering with this type of loss, by lighting a candle from 7-8:00pm on October 15th. If people light a candle at 7pm their time, and leave it burning for one hour, a wave of light will pass across the country in memory and awareness of these beautiful children we love and miss so much.


For additional information or resources on pregnancy and infant loss, or on this designated day of remembrance, visit:

I miss you and love you Esperanza! You will always be our first child and an important and recognized part of our family!

1 comment:

Kateri said...

Thank you to those who lit your candles and prayed with us on Friday!

More Favorites